Irony is moving to Mercurial source control system.

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 6:13 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2011 at 6:14 AM

For the past few weeks, I've been considering options for making it easier for everybody to contribute and share code. 

After careful consideration, I decided to stay on Codeplex and switch to Mercurial source code control. The official request has been sent to Codeplex site administrators. 

We will now be able to fork, change, and merge changes, more easily than with TFS - in some near future. So if you are planning to get sources from repository, start getting VisualHg and TortoiseHg tools and get familiar with them. I'm in the process already.

I have considered GitHub with Git as another option, but it seems like Mercurial is more Windows-friendly, has less learning curve, while feature-wise, in general, both systems are more-less on parity. Plus no need to move from Codeplex, which is a plus also. 

This decision was in fact for 2 projects, the other one is a coming soon new project VITA - will be publishing it soon. I wanted to make sure I'll be able to continue with both projects, on a single source control system, in a familiar environment.   

I hope you folks meet this announcement as good news. 

Thanks all for your support and suggestions regarding project future.

Roman

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 6:16 AM

(adding this to push this thread on top)

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM

That's great news  it will make contributing to Irony a lot easier.

Lately I've been using Irony and it's a great project. I have several questions and suggestions but I guess these should have their own thread.

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

We're done, the sources are in Mercurial

Big thanks to Codeplex team!