Cannot resist sharing it - excellent post about proper design!

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM

http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/master_and_expert.html#

Cannot say much about martial arts part, but about programming - sign up to every word!

Extract:

... These experts are very smart, capable, and skilled, but they are too busy impressing everyone to realize that their actions are only making things worse for themselves. In the end all of their impressive designs are doing nothing but making more work for themselves and everyone around them. It’s as if their work is only designed for getting them their next job, rather than keeping them in their current one.

I used to be this way. I used to love complicated designs and read everything I could about complicated technologies. But as I get more experienced and “older” as a programmer I find complex things just annoying. They aren’t a mental challenge to understand anymore, they are just irritating. I’ll pick apart the flashy crap, boil down the technology to its essence and then come up with a much simpler design for the task at hand almost every time.

That's the design philosophy I'm trying to follow, in Irony and VITA. And I wish I could always do it, including my day-time job!

Enjoy it!

Roman