Irony MIT License Agreement

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:16 AM
Irony is a very promising parser engine but its license agreement limits its usefulness for commercial software.  The license agreement says that the software may be used without restriction but that this same permission must be included in all copies of the software.  Thus, if Irony is included with a larger software program, that program would inherit this license agreement.

By contrast, popular parser generators like GOLD allow use of the software for any purpose.  Irony could very well become a defacto standard in this field.  However, its design requires full integration of the software into the host program.  Therefore, its license agreement becomes as serious a consideration as the library itself.

Some great alternative license agreements:

Please let me know if a change to the license agreement is possible.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM
I don't think this is the case. MIT (X11) is the least restrictive of most popular licenses. You can include Irony into bigger software product and sell the bigger product. See more details here:
Jul 5, 2008 at 7:32 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2008 at 4:40 PM
The link you sent me says that "the MIT License...permits reuse within proprietary software on the condition that the license is distributed with that software..." (underline added).  It is the underlined portion that kills this license for commercial software if the vendor prefers a different license for their software program.

My assumption is that you want a license that strictly governs Irony, not a license that extends to other software programs that might use Irony.  The MIT license is too ambiguous to know for certain which software program the license agreement covers.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:00 AM
Edited Jul 6, 2008 at 4:01 AM
Requiring distributing Irony's license together with Irony as part of a bigger project does not mean Irony's license would apply to this bigger project - it will have its own license.

It is well explained here:
Jul 6, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Thank you for your patience in this discussion.  So how could you distinguish Irony from the host program if Irony is compiled with the host program or merged into the host program with tools like ILMerge?  At that point, there is no practical way to "deal in the Software [Irony] without restriction" per the license agreement because there is no physical distinction between Irony and the larger work.  Merging binaries is a common security measure in commercial .NET deployment.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2008 at 8:08 PM
MIT license intent is to say: do whatever you want with the code, just don't pretend it is your invention, so don't restrict others in using it. So in case of IL-merge, a simple aknowledgment ("we use Irony internally" or "we borrow code/ideas from Irony") and a link to Irony page in Reame file would satisfy this presumed intent of the license - and this was my intent when I chose it.
 So stop worrying and start coding -)))
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:18 AM
OK, I will rely on your interpretation of the Irony license agreement in the situation I described.