Need Help

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to irony and I need assistant with the following.  I need to create a format function to accept one variable and five numeric values.

eg. format(variable,1,1,1,1,1) and can inserted to other functions as well like =if(x="a","ok",format("b",1,1,1,1,1))

this is what  I got so far

public const string FormatStr = "Format"

var variable = new IdentifierTerminal("Variable");

var expr = new NonTerminal("Expression");

var formatExpr = new NonTerminal("Format", typeof(ExpressionListNode));

formatExpr.Rule = ToTerm(FormatStr) + ToTerm("(") + variable + ToTerm(",") +                                    expr + ToTerm(",") + expr + ToTerm(",") + expr +                                    ToTerm(",") + expr + ToTerm(",") + expr + ToTerm(")");    

each numeric value will triggered an events, how would I handle that?  do I call my code to parse the conditions when the validation is done?

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:05 AM

don't quite understand the question - you need to custom-handle the event when the "format" call is parsed? I suggest simply to hook to formatExpr.Reduced event - it is fired when non-terminal (formatExpr) is recongized and "formed" - you can get all numeric arguments as child parse nodes in the event args and fire more events or do specific processing there.

One note - you don't have to use ToTerm call so much - you need it only if the first 2 terms in the rules are string literals; otherwise, you can skip them:

formatExpr.Rule = ToTerm(FormatStr) + "(" + variable + "," + expr + "," + expr + "," + expr + "," + expr + ")"; 

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Thanks rivantsov for replying to my question.  I got most of what I need, but I ran into another problem.  Continue from my first post.  How would I handle If the last three expr (expressions) if 1 represent boolean true and 0 represent boolean false? 

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

now I'm confused. what do you mean "handle"? what are we talking about parsing the expression, or interpreting/executing it? if you execute it and want to interpret "1" as true then you need to add the appropriate code in AST node's Evaluate method.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Hi rivantsov,

Sorry for the confusion.  What you said is what  I need, but I am still struggling with AST node.  Could you provide a sample on how I could do this?  Does it make sense to put it logic expression in the Grammar? If so, how?

Thanks again.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Look at expression Evaluator, in Grammar.Interpreter assembly. Class ExpressionEvaluatorRuntime adds a global built-in method "format" implemented by a custom method BuiltInFormatMethod. That's exactly what you're looking for. You need to alter this method if you need some "custom" treatment of certain parameters.