Irony port to Java/Android

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been using Irony for quite some time now and love it.

We have a project here in Bolivia that needs Irony capabilities but it has to be done in Android or Java. Do you know if there is something like Irony in Java/Android? or better yet, is there an Irony port to Java/Android? I have even considered porting it myself but I think it would be a little naive to step on it without asking first an opinion on this.

regards
Feb 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Have you tried to build Irony for Xamarin.Android? If it does not work out-of-the-box, you might consider to use the same Irony subset that is used when building Irony for Silverlight.
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Now, my Java is a bit rusty, but as I recall, it doesn't allow operator overloading, which is used heavily in Irony.
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Solution chosen based on time and resources for deliver:

Hypothesis: The expressions sent over to Android devices have already been tested/validated by the dynamic grammars generated on the server with Irony.
Solution: In this case, in Android we will implement a more generic grammar that doesn't check the type of the identifiers (as the dynamic grammars on Irony do) and we will just use the grammar to be able to parse a tree and interpret it. For that we will use natively ANTLR.

Thanks everyone for the tips. And yes, I will continue using Irony nevertheless for the server solution.
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Looks like you have decided on a solution. I just wanted to also point out another potential solution.

http://www.ikvm.net.

This tool translates Java byte-code to .NET IL (ikvmc) and .NET IL to Java byte code (ikvmstub).